Thursday, November 19

A Relaxing Day...Sort Of

This morning was absolutely wonderful. Why? I actually got to take a warm shower. Over the past couple of weeks we've been having problems with our water heater. Unfortunately, (especially for me) this has meant that every morning when I get up there is no hot water. Not the best way to start your day. We're in the process of getting it fixed, but soon we will be in a much bigger, nicer apartment where we won't have to worry about things like this. Hopefully.

I didn't have to work today due to Karen and I both having dentist appointments back to back and me saving up some hours. I was in for a filling; Karen was in for a cleaning. David was surprisingly patient for being at the dentist for four hours, and everyone commented on how well behaved he was. If they only knew... :) In between appointments we grabbed some lunch at Wendy's and some shakes at a locally owned store. Surprisingly, ice cream is still really good when half your face is numb.

Currently I am lounging at home wondering what to do with the rest of my day. I'm sure I'll be helping with dinner and we'll watch some episodes of 24 later (we have been watching the seasons lately; dangerously addictive, but too good to not watch). I'm hoping that later we can go look at a guitar I'm thinking of buying for a guitar class, but we'll see.

Recently I have been worried about our financial situation. There's no cause for alarm--we are very well off right now--I just can't seem to save as much as I would like. My career in the financial industry (banking) and an excellent accounting teacher in high school opened my eyes early to the benefits of saving. As I'm hoping to one day be a millionaire I know that saving early is important, but for some reason I can't stick to a budget. Personally, I think my downfall is credit cards. We have the money, but I decide to put it on a credit card instead and then we end up paying it off in one lump sum, it's a lot harder to part with. Credit cards build a false sense of security and make it easier to think you have more money than you really do. One of these days, when I stop getting cavities, I'll be able to pay off my credit cards. Once they're at zero, they won't be used again. I don't care if we don't get "points" or "rewards", whatever you want to call them; it's better to know how much money you really have and not spend any more. "Live within your means" as we're constantly directed; that's where I'll find peace.

I've decided that this blog will probably become a place for me to rant about whatever is on my mind. I wonder, how many people will actually read it?

Karen asked me why I don't want to post on the family blog. I think the answer is, I don't think anyone is really that interested in my ranting. I mean, look at what I just wrote, do you want to read that or see cute pictures of David? That's what I thought; you shouldn't have to sift through my ranting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading your blog!!!! :-) I like to know what's going on in your life, and how you are feeling. I think this will help me draw closer to you! I look forward to your posts and learning more about you through them! Love ya Lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret! It's nice to know somebody's reading. :)

    ReplyDelete